Christmas Safety Tips

  1. Poinsettia: This red-leafed plant doesn’t actually live up to all the hype — it’s actually only mildly toxic. However, even mild toxicity can be fatal when combined with other conditions. Better safe than sorry.
  2. Mistletoe: While the mistletoe may be a symbol of merry-making, it’s toxic if swallowed — but not as toxic as once believed. Again — better safe than sorry!
  3. Holly: Holly berries may be the most attractive to cats, but the leaves, bark, and seeds are just as poisonous. The effect of holly on cats is similar to that of caffeine and chocolate.
  4. Amaryllis: Less common than the other plants on this list, amaryllis causes abdominal pain and convulsions, so keep an eye out for it!
  5. Pine needles: Probably the least of your concerns here, pine needles may cause harm if swallowed, puncturing intestines or stomach lining. The tree oils might irritate mucous membranes, but just keeping your tree area tidy should prevent any problems.

Signs of poisoning may be:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Coma
  • Convulsions
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Labored breathing
  • Lethargy
  • Swollen limbs
  • Vomiting

If you suspect your cat may have been poisoned, please seek immediate medical attention.

Leave a Reply

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of
WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com